The National “D” license is a 36 to 40-hour course designed for the experienced coach who has already earned a National “E” license. The focus of this course is to improve a coach’s ability to positively influence individual players and teams.
The “D” license course is open to all applicants who hold a U.S. Soccer “E” license for a minimum of 6-months and who are 18 years of age.
What are the key components of the “D” license course?
- Develop the core coaching competencies necessary to effectively teach the 13-14 year old athlete and team.
- Understand the characteristics and needs of an athlete in the Intermediate Stage of U.S. Soccer’s Athlete Development Model.
- Build on the foundation of knowledge and experience in order to proceed through the sequence of coaching development courses.
What are the specific target outcomes of the course?
- Teach the Principles of Play in a training environment.
- Apply the Principles of Play to functional group roles in a full team system.
- Plan a sequence of training and weekly cycles to complete a season plan.
The “D” license course is broken into four phases:
- Preparation Phase (Pre Course work)
- Instructional Phase (14 to 18 hrs. Weekend #1.)
- Deliberate Practice Phase (Minimum 10 weeks)
- Performance Review Phase (14 to 18 hrs. Weekend #2.)
How to register for a National D course:
Check the Cal North Coaching Course Calendar for a course that will fit your schedule. There are a limited number of National D courses per year so if you do not see one listed, please check back at a later date. Registration for all D courses is now hosted on the US Soccer Digital Coaching Center (DCC), please read below and follow the instructions.
- Log on to the US Soccer Digital Coaching Center (DCC)
- Have you created your profile in the DCC?
- If so, log on using your username and password
- If not, create an account and list your National E License information.
- Has your National E License been verified on the DCC by the State organization where you took your course?
- If yes, you are good to go and can register for the D course.
- If no, you will need to contact the state office where you completed your E license and have it verified. If you acquired your E license in Cal North, you can email email@example.com to have your E license verified.
- You must have completed your National E license, a minimum of months prior to enrolling in the National D Course.
- To enroll in the National D, go to the top of the page and click “Courses”. All courses hosted in Cal North will load to the screen. Select the course you wish to enroll in and complete the page. All course information (description, locations dates, and fees) are included in this section.
- All course fees are due at the time of enrollment. Besides the course fee, there will be a surcharge fee of $25.00 that goes to US Soccer.
- Registration for D courses will close 21 days prior to the first day of the course.
- After you have enrolled and been accepted, you will have access to the assignments. You will be able to communicate with the Instructor and the instructor will be able to communicate with you. This will be the same instructor that will be teaching the classroom and fields sessions that you will attend. All grading and assignments will be done through the DCC, including the final grading.
- Once the course is complete (you have attended both weekends and completed all assignments) your final scoring will be done on the DCC, you will have access to see your final grade and can download and print your license.
$150 administrative fee will be retained if a candidate selects to withdraw from a course, and there will be no refund 45 days or closer to the first day of the course.