What is the Founders’ Cup?
Cal North Founders’ Cup is a cup competition created specifically for Cal North Recreational-level teams. The Founders’ Cup tournament operates in a tournament-style format. All eligible Cal North Recreational teams may apply to participate in this
tournament. The Cal North Founders’ Cup hosts brackets in the U14, U16 and U19 age groups.
Who is eligible to attend the Cal North Founders’ Cup?
In order to participate in Founders’ Cup the team must
1) have competed in a recreational playing league and
2) every player and coach must be registered and on an approved Cal North roster.
This competition accepts recreational players and teams ONLY. Teams and/or players that participated in competitive playing leagues and/ or tournaments are not eligible to participate in Founders’ Cup. Each team must have an approved Cal North roster
in order to for their application for Founders’ Cup to be accepted. Only Cal North rosters and passes issued through Cal North’s Stack Sports software will be accepted.
Please note: GotSoccer rosters are not used for the cup application process or at anytime throughout Cal North Cup. Only the official CYSA Cal North Roster is accepted
With the goal of creating as much parity as we can in the Cal North cups, a placement committee will review all Cal North Cup applications to help ensure placement in the appropriate level of play for each applicant team. Teams defined as Recreational
may be moved to a higher level cup if the committee determines that Founders’ Cup is not the level of play best suited for a team. Teams being placed in a higher level cup than the cup to which they applied will have the opportunity to opt out without financial
penalty within 48 hours of acceptance to a Cal North Cup.
Are Guest Players permitted?
A team may have up to five guest players for Founders’ Cup. A guest player must be a member of an approved Cal North team, be on an approved roster and have a Cal North member pass before participation in Founders’ Cup. Teams using guest players
will submit a Cal North Founders Cup Guest Player Form at the time of team check in on the first day of competition.
What is the roster submittal requirement?
In order to apply and participate, the official team roster must be approved by the team’s registrar in the Cal North software system.
- Draft rosters are not acceptable. Teams should communicate with their League registrar in order to obtain an approved roster, if they have not already.
- Each team may have only 22 active players, including up to five guest players
- Teams with rosters and guest players that exceed 22 players will designate players to be crossed off on the roster in order to meet requirement.
- A team utilizing guest players must bring a Cal North Founders’ Cup Guest Player Form to check in to designate guest players.
Can I make changes to my roster before attending Founders’ Cup?
Teams can continue to make roster changes after they apply to a Cal North Cup.
- The team roster “freezes” on the Tuesday prior to the cup’s scheduled start date but all changes should be submitted to the Registrar on the Friday prior to the roster being frozen.
- Cal North allows an unlimited number of transfers (players moving from one roster to another) and an unlimited number of added players (players not on a Cal North roster this season).
- All player movement on and off the roster will stop on the freeze date. There is no freeze date for adding or deleting registered team officials (coaches, assistant coaches, managers, etc.).
- Throughout all roster changes, a team must retain a core of 9 players from their league roster to the Cup roster. Including guest players, teams may roster no more than 22 players with no more than 18 players being eligible to participate in each game.
- Teams should contact their league registrars for guidance regarding roster changes and/or the timeline for submitting roster changes to the League and/or District prior to the roster freeze deadline.
When does the Cal North Founders’ Cup take place?
The Founders’ Cup calendar can be located on the Cal North website. 2020 Founders’ Cup is scheduled to take place on March 7-8, 2020 and March 14-15, 2020 if necessary.
What is the format of the Cal North Founders’ Cup?
Teams are placed into brackets by modified blind draw. During the preliminary round play, teams will play round-robin against the other teams in their bracket. Bracket winners will advance to the championship round. Founders’ Cup competition will be completed in one weekend.
Where are the games held?
We attempt to schedule games at centrally located venues, however Cal North Founders’ Cup tournament is a Northern California-wide event and therefore games could be hosted by any of the nine Districts within Cal North’s territorial area (see the map of Cal North territory on the Cal North website) and teams should be prepared to travel anywhere within this area. In the spirit of promoting more events for recreational soccer, Cal North makes every attempt to schedule the Founders’ Cup events at centralized venues such as the Morgan Hill Outdoor Sports Center, Cherry Island Soccer Complex near Sacramento, and Mistlin Soccer Park in Ripon. Keep in mind that weather and other unforeseen factors can affect scheduling. We plan to play games at Cherry Island Soccer Complex in 2020.
What cost is associated with the Cal North Founders Cup Tournament?
The Founders’ Cup entry fee is $525. The entry fee covers the costs of facility rental, field preparation, referees, support staff, awards, and other associated costs. Any cup-related costs incurred by the team for transportation, lodging, food, etc. are the responsibility of the team members.
What are the dates and deadlines associated with attending Founders’ Cup?
The application deadline is February 1, 2020. In order to be considered for Founders’ Cup teams must complete an application which includes three components:
(1) event registration (2) entry fees (can be paid online with a credit card or e-check during the application process or sent via check/money order and (3) Cal North staff is able to verify that an official team roster has been approved by the team’s registrar in the Cal North registration database. Applications will be accepted until brackets are filled or until the published application deadline, whichever comes first. Brackets will be filled on a first-applied, first-accepted basis once the online registration and payment in full has been received at the Cal North office.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN CAL NORTH FOUNDERS’ CUP
WE LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR TEAM’S PARTICIPATION!!