Cal North Hiring New Technical Director
Cal North is Looking for a Technical Director To help Cal North Shape the Future of Soccer in Northern California
California Youth Soccer Association (Cal North) is seeking to hire a full-time Technical Director of Soccer. This position will be responsible for the technical organization and administration of the Grassroots, Recreational and Competitive Coach Programming as well as the Player Development Program for Cal North.
- Develop, write and implement a Coaching Education Plan for Cal North that delivers coaching education resources for the membership
- Develop, review, administer, and implement State coaching education courses consistent with the philosophies and intent of US Soccer Player Development Initiatives and US Youth Soccer.
- Recruit, select, observe, develop, train, evaluate, and mentor qualified State instructional staff for coaching education courses, per US Soccer and US Youth Soccer standards
- Develop and write educational materials (teaching and training aids), instructor manuals, and other coaching resources for instructors and candidates attending Cal North coaching courses.
- Write and seek soccer coaching articles for Cal North publications, website and social media platforms related to grassroots, recreation, competitive, TOPSoccer and futsal
- Promote and conduct at least one US Soccer National “C” course per year
- Develop, manage and grow an annual State-wide Coaching Symposium
- Communicate and collaborate with Directors of Coaching, Technical Directors, and League/Club Presidents in an advisory capacity throughout the state and help tailor development needs for Leagues/Clubs as necessary.
- Collaborate with regional, national, international, and uniquely credentialed coaches to learn diverse perspectives of player development.
- Proficiency with the US Soccer Digital Coaching/Learning Center
Administrative and Other Responsibilities:
- Visit Leagues/Clubs across Northern California to assist in their development needs and conduct local coaching clinics; visible on-field presence at events, grassroots training and games
- Attend Regional and National Coaching symposiums, seminars, Midwest Region and US Youth Soccer Annual General Meeting as directed by the Executive Director.
- Attend and participate at Cal North Board meetings, Soccer Expo and Annual General Meeting
- Prepare monthly program report for the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Prepare annual budget for coaching education program
- Maintain open communication with Cal North Board of Directors, Executive Director, Office Staff, State Coaching Staff, Program Directors, and most important, our membership.
- Coordinate with Marketing and Social/Media Webmaster to manage grassroots, recreational, competitive and futsal program content for website
- Provide direction and oversight to the Olympic Development Program; work with the ODP Technical Director
- Broaden elite players’ opportunities through involvement in the Olympic Development Program (ODP), and offer assistance with college selection and recruitment
- Oversee the Awards-of-the-Year for Coaching.
- Assist Program Managers (Cal North staff and volunteers) as needed.
- Serve on various committees, as deemed appropriate by Executive Director
- Other miscellaneous duties and/or projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Ability to think critically about the future of soccer in Northern California and the United States, while maintaining an understanding of global football
- A positive approach and commitment to Cal North’s mission of developing youth players, character and community through soccer
- Important to the success of this position is the manner and communicative style in which the Technical Director works with soccer teams from numerous Leagues/Clubs, statewide and regional programs. Collaborative relationships with US Youth Soccer and US Soccer are highly valued.
- Exceptional leadership qualities and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders in the youth soccer community (coaches, players, referees, parents, administrators, directors of coaching)
- Ability to leverage and build a network of soccer professionals in Northern California
- Strong problem-solving and excellent organizational skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and detailed analysis
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and meet performance goals and deadlines
- Become knowledgeable of Cal North Constitution, Bylaws, Policies and Procedures
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a full-time position with compensatory benefits.
- Current US Soccer ‘B’ License required; “A” License preferred.
- Current US Soccer Instructor preferred
- Grassroots Instructor License required, or must obtain within 12 months of hire date.
- Must obtain any Certificates/Licenses, if required by US Soccer
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required
- Be in good standing with US Soccer (and any affiliated member) and Cal North.
- 5+ years coaching and training experience at the youth level or in an elite player development program
- Experience in teaching coaching education courses (USC, US Youth or USSF)
- Three or more years’ experience in a supervisory position.
- Candidates living within the San Francisco Bay Area preferred; selected candidate must live within 100 miles of Pleasanton, California
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, without any driving restrictions (per DMV or company Insurance carrier)
- Must pass any required background checks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and other software required by State or National organizations
To apply, please send your resume, and at least 3 professional and soccer references via email to:
California Youth Soccer Association
1040 Serpentine Lane
Pleasanton, California 94566
No phone calls please, and include a current email address and phone number.
Application Deadline: August 28, 2019